Our canopies are constructed from leading-quality materials and built to withstand harsh conditions. But they aren’t indestructible. Here’s how to care for your canopy and ensure years of on-road use.
Protect against corrosion
Whether off-road adventuring or pushing through your daily grind, if your ute canopy is subjected to the natural elements, there are a couple of things you must do to protect it from corrosion:
- If you’ve just travelled on a particularly tough road, rinse all areas of your ute canopy to remove mud, sand, and other debris.
- If you’ve taken your ute to the beach, take care to rinse away all saltwater and sand. Use fresh water and a sponge to clean your canopy and other accessories – this is a critical element of ute canopy maintenance, so don’t skip it.
Keep an eye on the details
Your ute canopy care routine should consist of equal parts proactive protection and post-adventure clean-up. When it comes to preventive maintenance, keep an eye on the details. It’s the little things that count. Here are our top tips:
- Planning a beach trip? Spray all fasteners across your canopy with a WD-40 or Lanolin protectant.
- Don’t underestimate the game-changing power of a good wash. Keeping your canopy clean and dry is key to extending its longevity.
- If you spot a deep scratch, touch it up with paint as soon as possible. This helps prevent the formation of rust.
Get to know tempered glass
Tempered glass is a feature of many ute canopies, ours included. One of its key safety features is the way it shatters – it breaks into many tiny pieces, minimising the risk of injury. Tempered glass can shatter immediately following impact or much later on, an occurrence known as delayed breakage.
Understanding how tempered glass behaves is integral to your ute canopy maintenance. Here are some of the types of events that could lead to delayed breakage:
- An object hitting the glass
- Direct impact from gear stored in your canopy
- Driving with the door open, which causes intense vibrations in the glass
If the glass doesn’t shatter right away, it could do following a dramatic change in ambient temperature, excessive vibration, or a sudden jolt (e.g., driving over speedbumps or potholes). To reduce the risk of breakage, add the following steps into your ute canopy care schedule:
- Check that the screws holding the windows in place are tight.
- Add lubricant to the window hinges and locks.
- Inspect the glass for any scratches, chips, and dents.
Recognise the risk of modifications
We are all for modifying your vehicle to meet your needs, but it’s essential to understand the risks involved. If you install an add-on or customise your canopy, you could void some aspects of your warranty.
What’s more, you are responsible for your vehicle when driving, so always check and retighten installed components. For example, if you have added roof racks, perform a weekly check to ensure every bolt, accessory, and mounting point is secured and safe. That way, you can head on and off-road with total peace of mind.
Not all journeys are created equally
Finally, boost your maintenance efforts whenever you take your ride out on a particularly taxing trip. Off-roading, beach driving, and use in civil, construction, and mining environments can put additional stress on your canopy and ute in general.
Ute canopies tough enough for the great Aussie outdoors
While ute canopy maintenance is crucial for long-lasting durability, the best partnerships start with top-quality materials. Shop our range of canopies and accessories today.